How Will the Terms of Custody Change Upon Relocation to Another City or State?

Terry L. Hart, Attorney at Law: helping parents in Houston, Katy, Sugar Land and the surrounding communities protect their parent-child relationships.

Parents Need Each Other’s Permission for Relocation

When career opportunities, military duties or family obligations make it desirable or necessary for parents to relocate to a different state or county, child custody and visitation schedules are impacted. In Texas, when custodial parents wish to move with their children, they must notify the other parent, may need to obtain approval from the other parent, or petition the court for permission to move.

Terry L. Hart, Attorney at Law, helps custodial parents obtain the permission they need to relocate with their children and helps noncustodial parents contest their child’s move and preserve their parent-child bonds.

Preserving Parent-Child Relationships

Many custody orders contain geographical restrictions regarding where the child may live. When parents wish to move out of this locale, they must approach the court for permission. If no such restrictions exist, custodial parents must notify their child’s other parent before the move.

As the noncustodial parent, you have the right to contest your child’s relocation. You can object to the relocation and petition the court for a geographical restriction or a change of custody.

When determining whether to allow the relocation, or to modify custody orders, courts examine a variety of factors, including:

  • The reasons for the move
  • The impact on parent-child relationships
  • Whether the move would prohibit the non-relocating parent from exercising his or her visitation
  • The distance of the move
  • The effect of relocation on the child

Lawyer Terry Hart helps his clients modify their child custody and visitation arrangements so they can take advantage of life’s opportunities while preserving parent-child relationships. Using alternative forms of dispute resolution, such as mediation, Mr. Hart brings parents together to reach mutually beneficial agreements that save the time, costs and stress of litigation.

Contact Terry L. Hart, Attorney at Law

Contact Terry L. Hart online to schedule a consultation. He can also be reached at 713-581-1773 or 877-576-7390.