At Times, A Parent’s Rights Need to Be Terminated

Terminating the parental rights of a biological parent is a very delicate matter that requires due consideration by the court and any parties involved. While in some circumstances, a parent wishes to voluntarily relinquish his or her parental rights, in other cases, the termination is involuntary and requires careful consideration by a judge.

Attorney Terry L. Hart has handled many adoption cases and can assist and guide clients through the adoption process.

Voluntary Termination for Disinterested Parents

The court may approve a biological parent’s voluntary termination of his or her parental rights when the parent demonstrates extreme disinterest in raising the child or when termination is in the child’s best interest. Voluntary termination frequently occurs when a noncustodial parent, who is not part of the child’s life, relinquishes his or her rights so that a stepparent or grandparent, who is involved in the upbringing of the child, can proceed with adoption. In these cases, the biological parent voluntarily signs an irrevocable affidavit of relinquishment of parental rights.

An Experienced Attorney Representing Parents on Both Sides of Disputes

Texas courts are reluctant to terminate a parent-child relationship permanently. Therefore, if the termination is contested, the court must carefully assess the grounds for termination. Grounds most often relate to abandonment, failure to support, neglect, endangerment or incarceration.

Parents fighting to prevent termination of their rights, as well as clients pursuing an action to have a parent’s rights terminated, will find an attentive, experienced advocate in Mr. Hart. Recognizing that clients may be facing one of the most difficult experiences of their lives, Mr. Hart is capable of empathizing with his clients while seeking the most practical solution that serves their needs and the needs of their children.

Contact Terry Hart online to discuss your legal questions. You can also reach him at 713-581-1773 or toll free at 877-576-7390.