Special needs children and child support

On Behalf of | Mar 27, 2019 | Child Support

Many families in the Houston area have a child with special needs. Families who have special needs children understand the amount of time and money that the child requires. In these cases, it is important for families to keep the best interest of their child in mind when it comes to child support.

When there is a child support issue involving a child with special needs it can be a complicated matter. The Texas Family Code requires that a child is classified as having special needs if they are not able to care for themselves or live on their own due to a medical or mental health problem. Parents can disagree over what conditions may qualify their child as special needs. The courts decide this on a case by case basis, so the parents need to gather all of the information necessary for the court to make an informed decision. The information should include medical records, school records, occupational therapists, mental health counselors, etc. Once a child has been classified as special needs, it is important to figure out what expenses the child has, including medical expenses, travel expenses, special equipment needed, etc. Child support can continue past a special needs child’s 18th birthday. In Texas, child support for special needs children does not follow the general child support guidelines so there can be a substantial impact on a family’s budget.

When a person has a special needs child, it is important that this child receive the care they need. This care is often expensive and for parents who are no longer together, child support can be crucial. A legal professional who is skilled in child support can advocate for their client in making sure the child receives the support they need both now and into the future.

Parents of special needs children know how unique and amazing their child is. They also understand that a special needs child requires a substantial amount of financial contribution and they should advocate on behalf of their child for this support.

FindLaw Network