Child support and visitation rights

On Behalf of | Sep 26, 2019 | Child Support

Many Houston area couples make the decision to no longer remain together. Whether they were married or not, when a couple splits after having children together, the relationship can get complicated. If a parent has been ordered to pay child support, sometimes this support doesn’t come through in a timely manner. There can be many questions in these situations.

If an ex-partner has not been paying child support, many may wonder if they still have the right to see their children. Visitation orders have been established by a court to make sure the children’s best interests are met. When a parent has not been receiving child support payments, they may feel angry and upset, along with wondering how they will meet the basic needs of their children.

A visitation agreement is legally binding and is not dependent on whether child support payments are met. So, a parent should not withhold visitation from the non-custodial parent for any reason. The courts believe it is in the children’s best interests to have a relationship with both parents.

If issues arise regarding a visitation plan, a parent should contact an attorney who specializes in child support and visitation. An attorney can help a parent understand their options. If a parent isn’t receiving their agreed upon child support amount, an attorney can advocate on behalf of their client. An attorney can also help if a new parenting plan needs to be put into place.

Once a court approves a visitation plan between the parents, it needs to be followed. Although a parent may have situations arise where they want to punish the other parent and withhold visitation, that is not allowed

FindLaw Network