Terry L. Hart, Attorney at Law

Should your child support order change with your circumstances?

Texas parents both have the legal responsibility to financially provide for their children after divorce. Child support orders generally reflect the circumstances that were present at the time that the divorce was final, but time can bring significant financial changes to one or both parents.

If you find that your current child support order does not reflect your needs or that you are unable to meet your current obligations, you may have grounds for a modification. Not everyone who wants to change their support order will be able to obtain a modification; therefore, you will find it beneficial to secure the help of an attorney to discover your options.

The requirements for modifying your support order in Texas

Even if you and your spouse agree to temporary changes in the amount or the frequency of child support payments, it is not legally binding. Modifications are only attainable through either a court hearing or through the child support review process. In order to be eligible for a modification, one of the following requirements must be met:

  • There is an increase or decrease in the noncustodial parent's income.
  • The noncustodial parent is now legally responsible for the care of other children.
  • There has been a change in the kids' medical coverage.
  • There has been a change in the kids' living arrangements.

Other grounds for a modification may include the desire of the custodial parent to move out of state or one parent facing the possibility of a military deployment. What worked for you at the time of the divorce may not be applicable years down the road. Whether you need more support to keep up with your kids' new needs or you are no longer able to consistently pay the same amount, you have legal options.

Securing the changes you need

The finalization of your divorce may not be the end of your need to turn to a family law attorney for help with your legal concerns. Your desire to parent your children well and provide for their needs has not changed, but your financial circumstances may not be the same. If you think you have a rightful claim to a modification of an existing support order, you deserve to know your options.

Relying on a verbal agreement or simply skipping payments is not a smart option; instead, you may seek a legal resolution to your concerns that aligns with your current abilities and needs.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Us

Terry L. Hart, Attorney at Law
4265 San Felipe Street
Suite 1100
Houston, TX 77027

Toll Free: 877-576-7390
Phone: 713-581-1773
Fax: 713-968-9817
Houston Law Office Map